A Psalm of David.
1 Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength.
2 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
3 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters.
4 The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.
5 The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
7 The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire.
8 The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.
10 The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King forever.
11 The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.
David praises God for His deliverance and His merciful dealings with him. Experiencing the voice of the Lord for the glory in God’s house.
Ugarit was a prominent city-state that flourished during the second millennium B.C. Its capital of the same name (modern Ras Shamra) was discovered in 1929 on the coast of Syria.
The site has yielded a wealth of finds, allowing for a reconstruction of its history and an understanding of its influence in the region.
The history of the site’s occupation can be traced to early Neolithic times (5th millennium B.C.), the period of the first appearance of humans in Syria Canaanites to Ugarit; these peoples settled there, bringing with them a knowledge of metallurgy and an instinct for commerce.
The city developed as an important trade center on the Mediterranean coast, mediating contact between the great Aegean and Mesopotamian civilizations. At the height of its prosperity, during the 15th and 14th centuries B.C., Ugarit was a crossroads where culture and learning converged:
Wine, oil, cosmetics, and pottery from Crete, Egypt, Asia Minor, and Cyprus were traded in the city.
Texts in Akkadian, the lingua franca of the period, as well as in Egyptian, Cypriot, Hittite, and Hurrian attest to Ugarit’s cosmopolitian character.
The excavated areas of the site have yielded temples dedicated to Baal and Dagon (or possibly El), the latter dominating the highest point of the mound.
A spacious royal palace covered nearly three acres. This and the residences of the high priest and government officials also housed official archives.
The city was densely populated, with roomy houses arranged around individual courtyards, as well as numerous sanctuaries.
Examples of the first indigenous Canaanite metalwork and glyptic art (art of carving or engraving, especially on gems) abound among the artifacts.
Among the most significant finds are some 1,300 inscriptions from the 14th century B.C. in a western Semitic language (called Ugaritic) similar to Biblical Hebrew. Ugaritic employed an innovative cuneiform alphabet.
Composition such as the Kirta (or Keret) Epic and the Legend of Aqhat bring to light the religion of the people of this land. Some scholars, in fact, have used Ugaritic poetry to try to decipher some of the more difficult passages in Biblical poetry.
The literature of Ugarit will continue to contribute to our understanding of the cultural environment of ancient Israel.
At the end of the Bronze Age, around 1200 B.C., a great upheaval of unknown origin evidently convulsed the ancient world, causing the collapse of numerous older civilizations.
Ugarit was sacked around this time and the site ultimately abandoned.